Friday 15 October 2010

T3 Film: Koyaanisqatsi Reflections

At the beginning there is a drawing of men, a drawing of distinct long gone civilization. There are plain black figures gathered on the pink rock of a cave. At the end there is another drawing of men, of a recently gone civilization. Black patterned figures just look back at me from this pink cave rock. Between there is meditation.

I watch from the distance the landscapes of interconnected elements of nature and all is beautiful and all feels natural and in place. Here human interventions single at first but nevertheless large in scale look like scares. I see mines, iron factories, ducts, oil pumps and the nuclear bomb, I look at rockets, airplanes and cars and then I see men proudly watching at their own creations, confident of their power over elements. I watch human landscape now. Initially from afar i observe the quick factory like order in the city. I am drawn deeper into this life until I become one of the characters and as I lost the greater perspective I also lost the ability to recognize things. Everything passes too quickly except from few personal encounters. I am not in control. I am falling and the sky is around me.

Koyaanisquatsi: Life out of Balance is a spiral of reflections. It shows human rise and fall and suggests that soon all that remains of us are a few hand drawings on the everlasting rock. It asks for a change.

But what can we change? Isn’t modern existence far too quick and inflexible? Have we gone so far in utilization of the process of living?

For me the hope comes from those few faces in the film show slowly and closely. A homeless man, a blond girl, a fire man and a man in a window of his flat are all more than workers, tax payers, National Health Service users and generally statistics. They have histories and dreams, they are unique.


No comments:

Post a Comment