Saturday 16 October 2010

T4 Lecture 01: What is the city for? Reflections

It was a long day. First day in the studio around MA SPUD activities. I was a bit anxious not knowing how tricky it would turn out to be. In the Unit 6 we registered our details for the India trip and were given the preliminary project. We were asked to head off to Walworth Road and look for stories as we will when we are in Agra in a month’s time.

I didn’t go, I went to the library, borrowed a few books. I relaxed on a sofa reading about cities tuning into the climate of the lecture to come. As 6.30 pm was approaching I went back to Spring House just in time to find a chair in the fourth row of lecture hall. I was pleased witch myself sitting comfortably and looking at a larger and larger number of people gathering in this gray space. I reached for my notebook only to notice I left my documents together with my passport in the library. Passport is the last thing I can lose just before the India trip! In a hurry I squeezed through already full room hearing behind me the first words of the lecture!

I found the passport, but didn’t make it back to my fourth row seat of the lecture hall. When I returned I could only stand in the third line behing very tall men surrounding both entry doors of this room. The fragments of words I heard and quarters of slides I saw made little sense.

I just left thinking this hall is too small, or there are too many of us future Architects, Planners, Designers competing for the first seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment