Tuesday 7 December 2010

T16 Application for Urban Design Officer job

To Whom it may concern

I would like to be considered for the position of Urban Design Officer in Corydon Council.

Over 8 years ago I committed to architectural education and profession. The University years challenged my creative potential and understanding of design from pragmatic knowledge of building construction and its elements, through the tectonic and poetic language of design and material. While in my final year at Kingston University I joined Baynes and Mitchell Architects (a small architectural practice based in London) on part time basis. Since completing my degree I continued to work there full time.

I have worked on a number of residential buildings and gained experience in initials and detailed design as well as management and coordination of work on site. My full involvement on the high-end residential refurbishment project in central London was a great experience in working as a team to bring the best in each person involved in the project.

For a year I was involved in a feasibility study work for a group of Grade 2* listed buildings in Historic Dockyard in Chatham which was to become new offices, libraries and workshops as well a visiting centre of the Historic Dockyard. This experience gave me an insight into work on historic sites, collaborating with a number of stakeholders on the development of a public shame for the mixed use of the trust as well as the public. Another project on this site: Chatham Joiner Shop, now completed, is a Grade 2 listed 16th century building which incorporates workshop units for artists as well as exhibition space and offices. The practice has been involved in promotion of the workshop upon its completion and took part in first events organized in the Joiners Shop.

In the years in practice I came to realize that architecture is a truly interdisciplinary art which draw on knowledge of professionals such as planners, landscape and urban designers, engineers and builders. Architect trough practice becomes a social scientist with all the technical knowledge of the builder. I gain a lot of management and technical experiences through training in Baynes and Mitchell Architects. I expanded my knowledge of currents polices in London and UK yet I felt I needed to learn more about human sciences to complete my understanding of the city and its inhabitants and to serve the people better.

In 2010 I joined the MA course in Spatial Planning and Urban Design. In the course of a year I larded to think critically and flexibly of the space making in the city. I was challenged to think at a variety of different spatial and time scales. I expand my understanding of functions of local governments and of the planning processes. I studied in depth the social aspects: causes and effects of projects on local and wider communities. I was challenged to make brave propositions.

I think I am an excellent candidate for the position of Urban Design Officer. I have a varied knowledge and experience background. I am very insightful and sensitive to the surrounding and I easily engage with the environment and people I encounter. I aim to make the spaces and situations more beautiful via embodying human needs into the physical form. I seek knowledge about the people and the world. I practice architecture which for me is the monument of the knowledge of a human being, his physics and spirituality, his social condition. I am motivated by the challenges ahead and keen to learn new skills and tools.
Yours faithfully

Dorota Kozaczuk

No comments:

Post a Comment